Sun Country Airlines

Get Help

International Travel

Traveling outside the U.S. on Sun Country Airlines is always a pleasant journey, whether you're bound for the Caribbean or headed to Mexico. Here are some important things to know before you go.

International check-in
You may only check-in for domestic flights at To check-in for any international flight, all members of your party must see a Sun Country Airlines agent at the ticket counter. The international check-in process must be completed 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Passengers traveling to and from Mexico and the Caribbean are recommended to arrive at the airport 2 hours (3 hours for Southwest Florida International Airport – Fort Myers) before their scheduled departure.

All passengers traveling to international destinations (including US and Canadian citizens) must have a valid passport.

To find updated information on passport fees, click here.

*As a reminder for those passengers returning to the United States that have a connecting flight; all liquids and gels over 3.4 ounces must be checked, including duty-free liquids. They cannot be carried onboard due to TSA regulations.

Passport information
Your passport is the primary document for international travel and must be kept in good condition. Sun Country Airlines may deny boarding if a passport is damaged beyond normal wear and tear and/or there is evidence of intentional or material alterations or mutilations.

To ensure your travel plans are not interrupted, please make sure your passport is in good condition before you leave.

  • No holes, rips or tears.
  • No missing information
  • No water damage.
  • Must have a cover that is intact.
  • Must be current and signed.

For additional information please visit the U.S. Department of State website

US and Canadian citizens need the following:

  • A valid passport

Minors and infants (17 years and under) need the following without exception:

  • A passport
  • For all International Destinations: If a minor traveling with an adult that is not their parent/legal guardian, or if the minor is traveling with only one parent a notarized letter of consent is required from both parent(s)/legal guardian. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). It is recommended that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable.
  • Sun Country Airlines does not permit minors (17 years and under) to travel internationally which includes U.S. Territories ie. San Juan or St. Thomas, if they are not accompanied by an adult.

Mexican Citizens traveling to the US need both of the following:

  • Mexican Citizens including children traveling to the US MUST have a valid passport, visa if required, and tickets/documents for a return or onward flight out of the US.
  • Mexican Citizens including children traveling to Mexico MUST have a valid passport.

Foreign citizens

  • Foreign citizens always need valid passports and in many cases visas to travel abroad. Non-US residents also need proof of return or onward flights out of the US when entering the United States. Foreign citizens who are permanent US residents will need to present their authorization to reside in US (greencard, refugee card, etc.). Please visit or for current information on specific requirements for entry into the US. It is the responsibility of the traveler to provide proper documentation to prevent detention, inconvenience or being denied boarding.

What to bring

  • Your doctor's contact information and copies of prescriptions for any medication you are carrying.
  • Contact information for family and friends, to be used in case of an emergency.
  • Confirmation documents for all portions of your trip: lodging, car reservations, etc.
  • Travelers checks.
  • Passengers flying to Punta Cana must bring $10 USD cash to purchase a tourist card upon arrival.
  • Passengers travelling to Liberia, Costa Rica must bring $29USD departure tax paid in cash at the Costa Rica Tax Counter in LIR upon check-in.

What not to bring

  • Excessive amounts of cash or unnecessary credit cards
  • Expensive jewelry
  • Domestic fruits, vegetables, and produce
  • Illegal drugs
  • Unauthorized firearms

See for more information on prohibited items.

Other helpful resources
U.S. Department of State offers an informational Web site on passports that contains everything you need to know. For additional information about traveling abroad, visit the U.S. Department of State for advice, travel warnings, and other helpful resources.

The U.S. Customs web site features useful information and preparation advice for U.S. citizens traveling abroad.

Maintaining your health is important when you travel abroad. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a great place to visit before you depart.

Follow Us:

Facebook Twitter

Sign Up For Emails

Sun Country Visa