Traveling With Infants
Kids and Travel
At Sun Country Airlines we value our young travelers and welcome them on our flights. The following information is designed to make the life of their full-size companions as stress-free and easy as possible.
Traveling with Infants
Passengers traveling with lapheld infants may not use our online check-in service and must check-in at the airport.
Definitions and Rules
Children under two (2) years of age may be held on an adult's lap without charge. Please note: the number of infants in a party cannot be greater than the number of adults. FAA regulations require any child who is two (2) years of age or older to occupy his or her own seat during takeoff and landing. Be sure to bring along a copy of your infant's birth certificate for age verification.
If you purchase a seat for your child, you may want to consider using a FAA approved child restraint device (i.e., car seat) for safety. Some restraint devices have been banned by the FAA for use in planes and many devices manufactured before the FAA's ban may still carry a symbol indicating they are approved for aircraft use. For a list of safety recommendations visit the FAA Web site or call the agency's consumer information hotline at 1-800-FAA-SURE.
Other helpful hints
- Please notify the ticketing agent of your child's age when booking your flights
- Plan for extra time to get through security when traveling with younger children
- Even babies must be individually screened at the security checkpoint
- Consider requesting a private screening when traveling with multiple children
- Pack toys and snacks to keep your child occupied during the flight
- Use a stroller or infant carrier that can be "gate-checked" to your final destination, so when you reach your destination the item can be returned to you at the arrival gate
- Car seats and strollers may be transported at no additional charge
Sun Country Airlines defines unaccompanied minors for domestic non-stop travel as anyone ages 5 through the age of 12. A passenger 13 years of age through 17 years of age is not required to purchase unaccompanied minor services. A responsible adult (age 18 and older) may purchase this service for any passenger between the age of 13 and 17. Sun Country Airlines does not permit minors (17 years of age or under) to travel internationally if they are not accompanied by an adult.
Definitions and Rules An unaccompanied minor is a child between the age of 5 and 12 who is traveling without an adult. For the purpose of this rule, a qualified adult must be 18 years of age or older.
Children under the age of 5 may not travel without an accompanying adult.
A passenger between the ages of 15-17 can be responsible for one child between the ages of 5-12.
Infants less than 8 days old are not allowed on-board any Sun Country flight.
Sun Country charges a mandatory fee of $75 per family, per flight segment (this fee is in addition to the ticket price). This fee is payable by phone through our Reservations Department or at the airport at time of check-in.
To book a flight for an unaccompanied minor, please call Sun Country Reservations toll-free at 1-800-359-6786 or 651-905-2737 for Minneapolis/St. Paul local calls (Mon-Sun, 5am-Midnight Central Time).
- Prepare your child by explaining the details of the trip, and ensuring that they understand the process - this will alleviate stress, especially for first-time fliers
- A good night's sleep will help in many ways, so try to make sure that your child is well rested before his or her flight
- Pack phone contacts and a brief medical history in your child's carry-on bag and let a Sun Country representative know it's there
- Ensure your young traveler is prepared for unexpected delays - encourage them to pack them a favorite book, hand held game, or music player
- Ensure that the person greeting your child at the destination brings photo identification, and arrives early at the meeting area. Check with Sun Country ticket counter agents for a gate pass.