Montego Bay, Negril & Ocho Rios, Jamaica
When selecting Jamaica for a vacation, travelers have three different areas to choose from — all served by the Sangster International Airport, located in Montego Bay. In all three of the areas the majority of hotels are all-inclusive, meaning all your meals, beverages, and most activities are included in one, convenient upfront price. It’s another way a vacation to Jamaica is “no problem”, because if you want another dessert or another Red Stripe, it’s no problem — and already included — at an all-inclusive resort.
Flights to Montego Bay are seasonal, offered December - April via Minneapolis/St. Paul (dates may vary).
With its proximity to the airport, Montego Bay is the perfect choice for travelers who want to quick-start their vacation as the majority of the hotels and resorts are within 30 minutes of the airport. The Montego Bay area is great for:
- Families — Short travel times to your hotel or resort help you — and the kids — start your vacation off right.
- Singles — Montego Bay’s famed Hip Strip is dotted with bars and restaurants, including Margaritaville, where you can literally slide into the Caribbean.
Negril is for beach lovers with its world-famous Negril Beach boasting seven miles of beautiful white sand, shaded with palm trees, sprinkled with bars and restaurants, lined with hotels and resorts, and bordered by the aquamarine waters of the Caribbean. To the north is another beautiful beach and to the south are the famous Negril cliffs with cliff divers and perfect sunsets. Negril is great for:
- Couples — Most of the resorts are smaller and several are for couples only, making for the ultra-romantic vacation. And the beaches are perfect for hand-in-hand strolling.
- Singles — Although Negril is supremely laid back, there is fun nightlife in the bars along Negril Beach; south along the cliffs at various bars, including Rick’s cafe; and likely within the resort where you are staying.
Offering a sublime balance between laid-back beach time and fun-filled activity, Ocho Rios is the perfect choice for many vacationers to Jamaica. The area is also home to many of Jamaica’s most famous tourist sites, including Dunn’s River Falls, Bob Marley’s resting place, the Martha Brae River, and Mystic Mountain, home to a rainforest bobsled ride.
- Families — Jamaica’s favorite and most-popular sights are located in or near Ocho Rios, so travel times are short and there is a lot to choose from.
- Couples — The adults-only hotel concept began in Jamaica and some of the best hotels and resorts catering to couples are found in and around Ocho Rios.
Who Should Go
In addition to those destinations listed above that are best for singles, couples, and families, Jamaica is also a great vacation destination for:
Resorts that cater only to couples began in Jamaica and they have perfected the art of the romantic and pampering honeymoon.
Plenty of watersports, a chance to bobsled or zipline through the rainforest, horseback riding along the beach, and a myriad of other opportunities exist for people on the go.
Many of the resorts in the Montego Bay and Ocho Rios areas either have their own golf course or are affiliated with one and may offer discounted rates for guests.
Booby Cay Island, Negril