Sun Country welcomes animals trained to assist passengers with mobility, visual, and hearing disabilities onboard, at no charge. The animal(s) must remain seated on the floor at the passenger's feet and cannot obstruct an aisle or other area used for emergency evacuation.
When traveling outside the U.S. 48 and its Territories, please ensure documentation of the animal's health (e.g. vaccinations, health certification, etc.) is up-to-date and readily available for customs agents to avoid delays or the possibility of the animal being quarantined.
Psychiatric Assist & Emotional Support Animals
Travelers needing Psychiatric Assist or Emotional Support Animals must provide written documentation in order for the animal to travel free of charge.
Required documentation for Emotional Support Animals to travel on Sun Country Airlines:
On letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g. the psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker) including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger’s mental or emotional disability. The letter must be dated — no older than one year from the date of the passenger's scheduled initial flight. The letter must contain the following four items:
- The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — Fourth Edition (DSM IV) or Fifth Edition (DSM V).
- The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination.
- The individual providing the assessment is a licensed medical or mental health professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional care.
- The date and type of medical or mental health professionals’ license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.
Types of animals not accepted
We do not accept the following animals as Service or Emotional Support Animals. These animals pose safety and/or public health concerns. Please submit an Accessibility Request or contact our Reservations department at 651-905-2774 if you have additional questions.
These animals include, but are not limited to:
- Sugar gliders
- All birds (household or non-household)
- Animals improperly cleaned and/or foul odor
- Any unusual or exotic animals